Skip to main content

Peeling Labels: You can have them!

Everyone has them and everyone gives them.
Labels are a funny.  Not funny “ha ha” but funny as in they make no sense for the most part.  Some folks obtain labels because they have earned them through a series of bad choices or natural characteristics that just seem to merit them.  Other labels are just given because man is by nature a creature who enjoys giving them out.
Let me see if I can give an example using my own life.
Example #1:
“Tracy?  You mean the dude who almost screwed up his entire life? Tracy, the screw up.”  Van Gogh went through a dark period that helped define him as an artist.  I went through an Idiot period that helped define a large portion of my life.  I made terrible and selfish choices and now there are those, who when they think of me, are reminded of my many faults and ultimate failures.  I did something to merit that label.
Example #2:
“Tracy? You mean the fat sweaty guy?”  I have what doctors call a slight weight problem.  Even my most blissful efforts causes me to emit sweat.  This is just a natural characteristic that has given me that label.  People are just putting into words what they see.
Make sense?  You see we all have them and we all do it.  Think for a second about those who you have labeled.  They have made some kind of impact on your life, whether good or bad.  They helped you in your time of need, so they are “a great friend.”  Or maybe they ran you down behind your back, owe you money or just act like a turd to you.  So they are “that jerk” that you can’t get away from.
Now, think about the labels you have been given.  We have been both falsely labeled and labeled with good reason.  We proudly wear the badges that point to us as a “patron” and “friend” and fight against those that tear us down and show us to be “unfaithful” and “double tongued.”  They can build us up and make our day, or they can destroy our self esteem and send us in a spiral of hurt feelings.
There was a brief time in my life where these labels, both good and bad, meant something to me.  My cranium would swell into a massive orb of compliments and confidence when they would praise me and my heart would break and I would sink into self pity when they would tear me down.  I am not sure when it happened but somewhere I got over the labels.  Somewhere I became more concerned with what God said, than what others said.  I didn’t care as much for their praise or their complaints as I use to.  It didn’t bother me that some people never forget who you were and it didn’t help me that some people only see the good in you.  At the end of the day, it is not what they say about you that makes the difference or defines who you really are!
You see the only thing that matters, the only label that really defines us, is the label that we are given in Christ Jesus.  According to Him, I am forgiven and my sins are lost in his divine, gracious forgetfulness.  According to His book of records, there is no other record than my name being recorded as one of His Children.  According to Him, I am not the man who is defined by his mistakes or physical characteristics, but rather, I am simply defined by His matchless grace.  I am not the drunk, I am the restored.  I am not the abuser, I am a crown of His glory.  I am not the liar, I am the truth of His abounding work.
I have lived with the guilt and at times I am overcome with the reminders of my short comings.   There have been times the weights of the labels have caused me to drop under the pressure.  But when I am reminded of the title that I am given in grace through my relationship with my Lord, the strangest things happens.  The labels of this world slide off of me.  They don’t stick!  People look at me and try to label me with what they have determined I deserve and they can’t pin it on me!
I don’t know what label you are struggling with.  Maybe it has caused you to stumble.  Maybe you feel like you can never overcome the labels.  It may be an ego thing, or a guilt thing.  Whatever it is, remind yourself, If you are in Christ Jesus, then you are defined by the Grace of God, not the labels of man.  So hold your head up.  You are no longer the addict, you are the blood bought.  You are no longer the pervert, you have the mind of Christ.  You cannot be defined by your past, because your past is erased.  You are not bound up by your bad choices, you are chosen in Him. 
Get up, put your big boy pants on, shake off the labels and put on the Whole Armor of God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This One Moment....

I just got home from doing some work at our church.   Each Saturday night we have to do some things to get ready for the early worship service.   But tonight was especially chaotic, as most of the last few weekends this time of year have been.   With Sunday School Christmas parties and so many other things going on, we have basically just been dodging each other to make sure that everything is done and nobody gets hurt!   With the exception of Trevor tripping in the parking lot and falling sternum first onto a concrete parking stop, I think we have done alright.   (He seems to be ok, by the way.) Tonight, there was a Christmas party in the fellowship hall and children’s play practice in the auditorium.   I, because of my many talents, well mainly because I showed up, was asked to help with the production by running the sound and the lights for the play.   So I got a script, made my notes and marked my cues and tried to keep up.   You know how these plays are!   I was so distract

Understanding Our Mission: The Work of Faith & Labor of Love

  I am always humbled and grateful to be able to share the hope of the Gospel in foreign fields through short-term mission trips. Unfortunately, I am often saddened and frustrated by the way many respond to these opportunities. No Christian (regenerate, born-again believer and follower of Christ) can ignore or deny the Biblical mandate to reach our world with the Gospel. It begins from where we are, and to the ends of the earth. Any Christian (see above definition) also understands that not all believers are called in Christ to physically go to a foreign field, whether short-term or permanent. But all Christians (see above) are missional. All Christians (again...) know that global missions are born from local missions.  Fulfilling the mandate of Matthew 28:18-20 , the Great Commission, is the responsibility of every true believer. Jesus promised to be with us every step of the way and "to the end of the age."  We are "ambassadors for Christ" , and God is graciousl

The Social Media Indictment: Lessons From My Social Media Life

  A certain stench accompanies a post like this. Smells  like hypocrisy mixed with irony. I get it. In fact, that is why I am pointing it out, right upfront. I promise that the fact I am writing a blog, on my personal blog, to then share on my various social media platforms is not lost from my view. If you're new here, this blog exists for a few simple reasons. For example, I often have thoughts that, hopefully after much prayer, I really want or need to, sort of, work out. I have found that a great place to do that is on the page. Writing has many benefits, and for me, clearing my head is only one of them. Another reason for the blog is that I really do want to get better at writing. I write every single day. Whether in sermon preparation, journaling, in correspondence, or for some other reason, I am writing something, at length daily. I want to be better. This is a great way to do that.  Most of all, as I shared with my wife after she repeatedly asked me to come back to this proc