Skip to main content

The Believer's Blessing: 2021 EDITION

 

In 1788 a Scottsman by the name of Robert Burns penned the words to a simple poem after a night out with an old friend. Burns scribbled the brief but sincere words down in response to his own questions and thoughts. I've often wondered if Robert Burns ever dreamed that 232 years after he wrote “Auld Lang Syne” people all over the world would sing, slur, mime, and mumble through his heartfelt lyrics.

We all know the tune even if we don’t know all of the lyrics. Sidenote; you can brag at this year’s New Year celebration that you in fact dabble in 18th Century Traditional Folk Melodies. Now, back to the lyrics that no one really seems to know. Robert Burns’ original lyrics have been changed and translated several times from his original poem, but the idea and sentiment remain the same. The Scots title, "Ald Lang Syne", can be translated in English to “old long since” or even “long, long ago”. In Burns’ original poem, it loosely translates “for the sake of old times”.

With those memories of yesterday and days-gone-by in view, Burns poses a rhetorical question in the first verse: “Is it good to let old times and old friends be forgotten?” The presupposed answer is of course, “No”. As the verses continue the old friends do not forsake their friendship and find in one another allies and partners for the road ahead. The second verse, which depicts the toast between friends, is moved as the last verse in the modified English version. Of course, it is. There, in the closing stanza of the hymn of the huddled, hopeful, hungover masses; the friends join hands and look ahead. With mugs filled to the brim, and expectations just as high, the two toast to the days that are ahead.

A toast to health! A toast to prosperity! A toast to peace! A toast to freedom! A toast for anything better or anything different. Today people around the world will look ahead to a New Year. Many would respond to Robert Burns’ original question and say: “Good or bad, I want to forget the days that have just gone by.” So many people are merely toasting to the New Year hoping for some sort of change. They need a change in their finances, their health, their family, or their world. Like a collective mantra being repeated around the world, billions are whispering to themselves, “2021 will be better.”

But what if it’s not? I hate to be that guy, I really do. Seriously though, what if it only gets worse? What if the pandemic doesn’t go away? What if restrictions and mandates increase? What if there are consequences? What if the government is still in upheaval in June? What if gas prices soar? What if taxes sore? What if you still don’t have a job? What if you lose your job? What if you or someone you love gets really sick? What if they die? What if you die? What if things in 2021 are much worse than in 2020?

A Toast of Blessing in 2021!

I hope and pray every day that things improve in the coming days and months. But I have been reminded in recent weeks (on repeat because the Lord knows I am a slow-learner) in God’s word that I am blessed. Please note the period at the end of the previous sentence. Regardless of my situation, circumstances, culture, crisis, or anything else; I am blessed. Please note that period as well. If 2021 turns out to be a dumpster fire revealing 2020 to really only be a flaming napkin on the sidewalk, I am blessed. Please notice, I did not say "still" blessed. 

As believers, we tend to say things like that. The lesson I am learning points me to the matters and means of my blessing. I am blessed because of Christ. I am blessed in Christ. No other factor is relevant. Think of it this way. I would not say to my wife, “Babe, sometimes you’re pretty and sometimes you’re ugly. But I love you either way.” That is not smart, and in her case, it isn’t accurate. My girl is fine all of the time. I said it. 

To be clear, I am not saying this is as bad as saying “God is good sometimes, and sometimes He is bad. But I am blessed.” I mean, if that gets the principle through, then by all means use that bat. However, I do think it is just as much in error to say something like, “In good times and in bad, I am blessed.”

To understand, believe, and embrace the truth of this reality is life-altering. I am blessed. Nothing else matters. Because of Christ, I am blessed. The word of God, by the Spirit of God, reveals this truth to the regenerate heart of God’s children and “bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God” (Rom. 8:16). I am blessed. Therefore, I can go into this next moment and every moment God graciously gives me, with confidence. If you are a believer, you can too. There’s no reason to toast for a blessing. You are blessed. The question is then, how is the believer blessed in Christ? Glad you asked.

The Believers Blessing In Christ:

Scripture is filled with the promises and purposes of God in Christ for the world, and specifically for the believer. Perhaps there are no passages so familiar or precious to us than those of the Apostle Paul. In 1 Corinthians 2:9, Paul paraphrases Isaiah 64:4. Ther he encourages these messed up believers that, “no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him”. That reference is made to the believer’s blessings in Christ. While there are many of these blessings, Paul gives us a great list to mention here, all in one passage. It’s found in Ephesians 1:3-14: (highlight sections mine)

“3. Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places, 4. even as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5. He predestined us for adoption to Himself as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of His will, 6. to the praise of His glorious grace, with which He has blessed us in the Beloved. 7. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace, 8. which He lavished upon us, in all wisdom and insight 9. making known to us the mystery of His will, according to His purpose, which He set forth in Christ 10. as a plan for the fullness of time, to unite all things in Him, things in heaven and things on earth. 11. In Him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12. so that we who were the first to hope in Christ might be to the praise of His glory. 13. In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in Him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, 14. who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of His glory.”

Do you see them? Do you see the blessings? These are rock-solid realities that mark the believer. Understand that the word “believer” is not chosen lightly. Those, who by God’s gracious gift of faith, have repented and believed the Gospel, have been brought from death to life. This regeneration is a work of God that unites the believer in fellowship with God. This fellowship comes by means of a new relationship. They are no longer an enemy of God but a son or daughter. The believer now stands in the unending flow of God’s abundant and all-sufficient grace and mercy. God is the source of all blessing to the believer. The means by which God blesses the believer is His son, Jesus. Christ Jesus is the vessel through which every blessing of God; from the Spirits call, conviction, and conversion,  to taking the sin, death, and the wrath of God we deserved. From salvation and sanctification to glorification, Jesus is God’s blessings for the believer.

In this passage alone Paul mentions God’s blessings in Christ for the believer in justification, redemption, regeneration, and adoption. The Apostle mentions that we are joint-heirs with Christ, our forgiveness of sins, our eternal life, the indwelling Holy Spirit, and the promise of the resurrection. He affirms that the promises of God and the blessings of God for the believer are as safe and secured as the believer themselves. In all of this, the pinnacle of it all is reached in the phrase: “to the praise of His glory.”

To the Praise of His Glory:

I don’t know what the next year will bring.

I know that the last year has been a challenge. I also know that for me, it hasn’t been near as hard as it has been for millions of others. I know that I have seen growth in spite of the challenges
. I know that I have learned a lot of important lessons. I know that there are many things I am praying turn out differently in 2021 than they did in 2020. I know there are some things I am praying never go back to the way they were. I know that in every moment God has been faithful. I know that despite my doubts and frustrations, He has not failed a single time. I know that even now He is still graciously, mercifully, and patiently working on me.

I also know that I am blessed. Again, please note the period at the end of the previous sentence. I am blessed (here comes another period). As someone who has ignored this reality a lot in the past year, I am astounded by the overarching goal of this Ephesians passage. Remember the issue with missing the point? God blesses me in Christ and I am too busy trying to measure my blessings based on my circumstances or situation. Yeah, I do that. God has granted me all spiritual blessings and all I can do is worry or complain. Yikes. I have been accepted in the beloved; the rightful Lord and ruler of all things, and I am pouting because life is unfair. Oh boy. What is just as shameful is being called a joint heir with Christ based on Christ’s work alone, and then I try to add my own efforts to the scales. Sure. “Hey God! In case you missed it, I did really well today. So if you could make today a little less 2020 that’d be great.”

I am blessed. Wretched man that I am, I am blessed. Why? Paul says that God blesses us in Christ this way so that all the praise is to Him and for His glory. All the praise from our lives, hearts, minds, and mouths are to God and His glory. Our lives reflect these life-giving realities in such a way that others are transformed by the Gospel at work in us and they in turn respond. They respond to God in Christ as He works by His Spirit. 

This is the work that Paul referenced in 2 Corinthians 5:17-21: “17. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 18. All this is from God, Who through Christ reconciled us to Himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; 19. that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. 20. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making His appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21. For our sake He made Him to be sin Who knew no sin, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God.” 

Lives blessed in Christ are transformed. Transformed lives are Gospel lives. Gospel lives share the message of what God has done in Christ.

A Psalmist View of Being Blessed In Christ:

If you’ve been to this blog before then you know its main purpose is to catch the overflow of my mind when a social media post just isn’t enough. For the last few weeks, I have been preparing to preach for this Sunday morning. I’ve known for about a month what I would be preaching. For the last week or so I have been finalizing the message. What I’m saying is, today’s blog is brought to you by Sunday’s Sermon.

I make reference to this very idea throughout my message for Sunday. I also make reference to one of my favorite Old Testament passages. In Psalm 67 we find a Jewish writer prophetically writing about how God will bless His people through the salvation of the Messiah. To read a Jewish prophecy or Psalm about the Messiah is not unusual. What is unique about Psalm 67 is that a Jewish author mentions God’s blessings upon all nations and all peoples. If you understand the Old Testament and Judaism, then you understand why that is unique.

In verse one of the Psalm, the writer begins with a prayer for a blessing from God. Again, not unusual. Notice the prayer for the blessing in Psalm 67:1-

“1. May God be gracious to us and bless us

and make his face to shine upon us, Selah”

That is a wonderful prayer. That is one we could pray for today as we head into the New Year. But as the Psalmist continues we are reminded of a good practice to utilize for ourselves. Ask yourself: Why is this request being made? Why is the Psalmist asking God for this blessing? What is the motivation for wanting God to bless him? Why does he want God to gracious to him, bless him, and to shine His face on him? He immediately answers that question in the rest of the Psalm beginning in verse 2:

2. “that your way may be known on earth,

your saving power among all nations.

3. Let the peoples praise you, O God;

let all the peoples praise you!

4. Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,

for you judge the peoples with equity

and guide the nations upon earth. Selah

5. Let the peoples praise you, O God;

let all the peoples praise you!

6. The earth has yielded its increase;

God, our God, shall bless us.

7. God shall bless us;

let all the ends of the earth fear him!”


Hear the prayer!

God, You have blessed us. Continue to bless us. Give us Your grace. Be pleased with us and shine Your face on us, illuminating Your blessing. Bless so that Your way will be known everywhere. Bless so that Your salvation will be known everywhere. Bless so that those who were created for You, who do not know Your blessings in Christ, will come to know Him and give You praise and glory. Bless so that all the peoples will praise You. Bless so that every nation, tribe, and tongue will find their gladness in Christ and sing for joy from Your blessing in Him. Bless so that they will know You. Bless so that they will know You as the only Righteous Judge. Bless so that they will know You as the giver of all good gifts and Sovereign Ruler over all things. Bless so that all the peoples will fear You as the One True God, worthy of honor. Bless so that all nations and peoples will bless You, sing to You, be glad in You, praise You, and glorify You.

Don’t miss the truth that is here. God desires and delights to bless His children. If we could grasp the depths of God’s love demonstrated to bless us we would never be the same. The Psalmist seems to have understood these realities and is now echoing the goal mentioned by the Apostle Paul in Ephesians chapter one. I am blessed. God, continue to bless for Your glory. Bless so that the world will know that the only true blessing that exists is found IN CHRIST.

All Glory Be To Christ:

It has become one of my favorite songs and my annual replacement for Auld Lang Syne. It echoes this pinnacle reality and is a great reminder for us at the close of any day or at any moment. All glory be to Christ.  Enjoy, and Happy New Year.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This One Moment....

I just got home from doing some work at our church.   Each Saturday night we have to do some things to get ready for the early worship service.   But tonight was especially chaotic, as most of the last few weekends this time of year have been.   With Sunday School Christmas parties and so many other things going on, we have basically just been dodging each other to make sure that everything is done and nobody gets hurt!   With the exception of Trevor tripping in the parking lot and falling sternum first onto a concrete parking stop, I think we have done alright.   (He seems to be ok, by the way.) Tonight, there was a Christmas party in the fellowship hall and children’s play practice in the auditorium.   I, because of my many talents, well mainly because I showed up, was asked to help with the production by running the sound and the lights for the play.   So I got a script, made my notes and marked my cues and tried to keep up.   You know how these plays are!   I was so distract

Understanding Our Mission: The Work of Faith & Labor of Love

  I am always humbled and grateful to be able to share the hope of the Gospel in foreign fields through short-term mission trips. Unfortunately, I am often saddened and frustrated by the way many respond to these opportunities. No Christian (regenerate, born-again believer and follower of Christ) can ignore or deny the Biblical mandate to reach our world with the Gospel. It begins from where we are, and to the ends of the earth. Any Christian (see above definition) also understands that not all believers are called in Christ to physically go to a foreign field, whether short-term or permanent. But all Christians (see above) are missional. All Christians (again...) know that global missions are born from local missions.  Fulfilling the mandate of Matthew 28:18-20 , the Great Commission, is the responsibility of every true believer. Jesus promised to be with us every step of the way and "to the end of the age."  We are "ambassadors for Christ" , and God is graciousl

Dear Wormwood: The Letters. My Post. My Point.

  Dearest Reader, If by chance you happen upon this digital journal and care to give the time to its reading, I would like to say thank you.  If by chance you are familiar with my entries, you may decide to skip the typically lengthy introduction and, as they say, "get to the point" of this entry.  With only a few scrolls you will arrive there and see the words: "Which Finally Brings Us To Wormwood".  If by chance you are here for the first time, please do not expect much from the entry.  It is only the ramblings of a man who desires to clear his head, tell out his soul, and move along.  In short, this is more for me than you. Your Affectionate Author Screw-loose